The skin is the largest organ in the body. It is the only organ exposed and vulnerable to external factors such as ultraviolet radiation from the sun and air pollution. As much as these external factors damage our skin, there are some internal factors which contribute to the deteriorating health of the skin. Elements such as aging and acne cannot be avoided, but their effects on the skin can be reduced.
This article will talk about taking care of the skin. The secret to a glowing skin is providing it with what it needs.
Tips for keeping your skin healthy
1. Homemade skin care treatment
The skin is exposed daily to both bacteria and dirt. Luckily, your kitchen has what you need to treat your skin against bacteria and making it dust free:
- Applying lemon on your skin is a natural way of cleansing it. Citric acid removes dead cells, and vitamin C improves the tone of your skin by reducing dark spots.
- Turmeric powder is another ingredient which has an antiseptic effect on your skin. It is anti-inflammatory in nature hence reducing the inflammation caused by allergic reactions on your skin. The best way to use this powder is by making a paste with it using pineapple juice. It will rejuvenate your skin.
- Honey has antibacterial properties and moisturizes the skin. It treats some skin diseases and infections.
2. Drinking water
Water cleanses the body by eliminating toxins. By hydrating the body, the skin is hydrated too. When the body is not cleansed enough, toxins build up and break out on the skin in the form of pimples. The leading cause of acne breakout on the skin is dehydration. Therefore, keeping your body hydrated, keeps your skin free from acne, and pimples. Water also transports enzymes, minerals, and vitamins to the skin cells. Drink the amount of water equal to half of your total body weight in ounces. For instance, if you weigh 150 pounds, drink 75 ounces of water.
3. Take foods rich in antioxidants
Antioxidants are compounds found mostly in fresh fruits and vegetables. The process of oxidation in our body produces free radicals which damage body cells if not controlled. Antioxidants fortify the cells against free radicals. It encourages cell and tissue growth which is essential for the skin; since skin cells are shedding and growing steadily. It also slows down the aging process of the skin by fighting wrinkles and firming the skin, therefore giving it a youthful appearance
4. Protect the skin from ultraviolet radiation
Ultraviolet beams from the sun are the leading cause of skin damage. They cause wrinkles and make the skin vulnerable to skin cancer. Always apply sunscreen in situations where your body is exposed to the sun for instance when swimming. Avoid going out when the sunlight is strongest between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.